SENIOR GEOTECHNICAL ENGINEER
It is an exciting time for our client as they continue to expand and look for a Senior Geotechnical Engineer with 8-12 years relevant working experience to join our dynamic Geotechnical team based in Milton Keynes, England.
This role is a fantastic opportunity for someone looking to progress their career in a small UK based team, which provides a great opportunity for career progression and shareholding in an employee-owned Company. There is also the opportunity to collaborate with our larger internationally recognized team in South Africa on a diverse range of projects both locally in the UK and internationally across Africa. This role will also provide the candidate with continuous exposure to collaborate with other teams and disciplines, as well as to interface with clients both locally and internationally.
Our Geotechnical teams are involved in projects that span residential, commercial, industrial and mining sectors, and range from ground characterization through desk studies and site investigation to geotechnical design, including numerical analysis and soil-structure interaction. A thorough understanding of ground engineering including but not limited to desk study, ground investigations, technical report writing, ground modelling, design of earthworks, retaining structures, foundation and slope stability assessments is required.
Position: Senior Geotechnical Engineer
Report to: Head of Department, Geotechnical
Location: UK Office at 100 Avebury Boulevard, Milton Keynes, MK9 1FH
– Required: BEng / BSc Eng in Civil Engineering with a Geotechnical bias
– Desired: MEng / MSc in Geotechnical Engineering
– Chartered Engineer
– Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Projects
– Good knowledge of HoleBase and AutoCAD (Civil 3D)
– General experience with one or more geotechnical software products such as Geostudio (Slope/W SEEP/W SIGMA/W), Finite Element Analysis (e.g. Plaxis), Settle 3D, Leapfrog, Wallap
– Flexible to travel and working away from base office if required
– Clean driving licence
– Valid Passport
– Representing and promoting the company to existing and prospective clients
– Preparing project proposals, fee estimates and project work programmes
– Submitting expressions of interest, pre-qualification questionnaires and tenders
– Undertaking Preliminary Phase 1 Desk Studies
– Ground investigation design, management and administration
– Preparing health and safety documentation
– Contributing toward maintaining a safe working environment
– Site inspections, coordination with third-parties and supervising site investigations
– Logging and sampling of soils and rocks
– Scheduling laboratory testing and carrying out in-situ testing and monitoring
Carrying out ground modelling and undertaking mining risk assessments
Analysis and design of slopes, retaining walls and foundations.
Writing Geotechnical Interpretive Reports, Geotechnical Design Reports and Earthworks Specifications
– Evaluating site conditions to assist in optimizing decision and design requirements
– Modelling various geotechnical conditions using applicable computer software
– Ensuring projects are completed on time, within budget and to the required quality
– Assisting with project cost control and with compilation of project invoices
– Keeping up to date with industry standards, technical developments, ground engineering design techniques and trends
– Geotechnical site assessments and desk studies
– Ground investigation design and implementation
– Site supervision and project management.
– Geotechnical design including earthworks, foundations, retaining walls and slope stability assessments
– Heath and Safety regulations /CDM with regards to fieldwork and construction sites.
– Appropriate technical standards, legislation, codes of practice and UK standards
– Strong technical and analytical skills
– Excellent written skills for preparing interpretative and design reports
– Effective communication with team members, subcontractors, and clients.
– Effective time management and strong organisational skills
– Ability to work independently on site and as part of a team in the office
– Ability to work independently with minimum supervision
– Excellent understanding of geology, geomorphology and geotechnics
– Strong understanding of mathematics and science
– Excellent written and spoken English, including technical report writing skills.
– Good interpersonal skills with the ability to work, interact, communicate and contribute positively in a team environment as well as with clients.
– Good listening and comprehension.
– Good critical thinking and problem-solving skills
– Good judgment and ability make decisions.
– Dynamic, self-motivated and takes responsibility and ownership of tasks.
– Flexibility and adaptability
Key Benefits of the Role
Our Client attract and retain talented people through competitive remuneration, rewarding performance and aiming to achieve work-life balance. We offer a flexible working hours and our core benefits include, but are not limited to, 20 days annual leave (excluding bank holidays, increasing based on service length), company matched pension scheme, and one paid annual professional institution membership fee.